Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Colorado - first half

Bowel Management Week pretty much started with the Contrast Enema. As soon as we got into the x-ray room, Kameron started screaming. He cried and screamed until it was over, and then when he was on the potty emptying everything out, he fell asleep. I finally just wrapped him in a towel and picked him up and held him until the radiologist came back in to take the post-evacuation film.
The enema showed that he was very backed up, and that his colon is dialated, making his constipation worse. Then, when we saw the Doctor,he told us that, based on Kameron's birth defect, and on the contrast study, he would need an enema program for a long time, probably years. I was shocked. I really thought that he would say the opposite, that Kameron was fine and could just use laxatives.
The next shock was when I asked about the sacral ratio. I was told Kameron has a hemisacrum - half of his sacrum is normal, and the other half is either abnormal or completely absent. I was shocked. I emailed Dr. Levitt in Cincinnati just to see what he thought.
The other thing I am having a hard time with and am trying to get a second opinion on, is the laxatives vs. enemas. Cincinnati says enemas only if incontinent. They have to start laxative trials in 3-6 months after being successful with the enemas if they have potential for bowel control. Well, I knew Kameron would not be able to be on laxatives in 3-6 months, and laxatives in the past have been a nightmare, but they are the experts, and so I worry because I don't want to ever go back to laxatives, the enemas have been going so well. The dr.s in colorado say we can do whatever works for our family. I don't know, I just don't want to do the wrong thing.

No comments:

tomato!

tomato!
My first tomato of the season! It looks a little funny, but believe me, it tasted great!